Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Working off the Clock

Is your employer requireing you to work off the clock? We first saw this situation arising in cases where an employer required an employee to shower in and out from work and then put on a uniform of some sort prior to punching in to start their shift. This type of practice required the employee to be at the place of employment 30 minutes to an hour prior to starting their shift just so that they could start on time. In essence this caused the employee to work off the clock. The employee is entitled to recover twice the amount owed for these hours (many of which were overtime hours), and attorneys fees.

We are seeing a new type of case arise where call center employees are being forced to arrive at work before their shifts start to complete administrative functions. They are also forced or encouraged to complete other essential administrative tasks during lunches, breaks, and after their shift ends. If you think that you may be working off the clock please call the Paulus Law Firm at 816-581-4040 and visit our website at http://www.pauluslawfirm.com/

9 comments:

  1. My employer is asking me to drive 19 miles one way (38 miles round trip) on a day off of work because they asked me to take off the day before and the day after to put time clock corrections in for payroll. I was told "it isn't going to take you that long!" Is this right? I live in Kansas.It isn't the first time I've been asked to work off the clock for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No this is not right. An employer must pay an employee for all work done for the benefit of the employer. Other examples of off the clock work that employees should be paid for include being asked to drop off mail after work or make bank deposits during your lunch break. Please call me at my office at 816.581.4044 and we can discuss further.
    -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work construction and I am required to be at work at a certain time everyday, frequently my bosses are 1-5 hours late and I am forced to wait off the clock. Because of this I spend 10-20 hours a week of my time at work without pay. I also do not get overtime pay, if I work 50 hours a week I get paid for 40, the other 10 hours are set aside for slow weeks but are not time and a half, just my normal hourly wage. I'm supposed to make 12 an hour, in the last 2 weeks I've spent 76 hrs at work and my check wasn't even $600. Please help with any info. I might even have to sell my truck just to pay rent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a case for both your overtime and for the time spent waiting off the clock. Give me a call Monday at 816-581-4040 for a free consultation. Ask for Ryan.

      Delete
  4. Today I spent 9 hours at my job working my butt off for our annual clean up day.. This was mandatory for all employees or we get fired and we received no pay.. Is this legal???

    ReplyDelete
  5. No it is not. You must be paid at least minimum wage for all hours worked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You presented the basic law of employment. Employers are legally responsible for their employee's welfare and must abide by the usually complex employment laws of the UK. Solicitors In Maidstone Kent

    ReplyDelete
  7. The U.S. department of labor launched an online timesheet application through which labor keeps track of their working hours and the wages they owed. I think it reduces employee’s exploitation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so much excited after reading your blog. Your blog is very much innovative and much helpful for any industry as well as for person.

    ________________________
    Interior decorator Sydney

    ReplyDelete